Cricket Song Farm

Cricket Song Farm

Monday, March 13, 2017

It's Never To Late



"IT IS NEVER TO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN' .....george eliot


I always wanted to be an artist.  I spent hours and hours as a kid drawing and sketching.  I attended a small rural high school, but it did not offer any any art classes. I tried going to college, but the confinement of indoors and being told what to read and conforming to the opinions of professors just wasn't for me. 
Busy raising a beautiful family, working the soil on my organic vegetable farm, milking 20 goats by hand twice a day, has taken up most of my time, but with the last of the kids off to college, I have picked up my art again.  I am struggling, but I have decided it is like anything else, the more you practice, practice, practice, practice, the better you get.
This past winter I watched birds in my yard eating the seeds from the many flower heads I left uncut for them.  I tried to sketch the ever present sparrows, but my efforts weren't very good. 
 I made a goal.
  I would make 10 drawings or paintings of a sparrow and hopefully
 by the tenth one I will have made some progress.




Sketch number one.  AUGGGHHHHH!
Well, it can only get better from here!


Sketch number 3 & 4
hopefully I have made a little progress


I am finding this difficult! 
 Why do I have an easier time painting or sketching people?






Number 5. 
 This is totally wrong.  It looks more like a hawk, or a duck, than a sparrow.  
I told my husband of my goal to paint 10 paintings of sparrows,
 hoping as each painting is completed, it will help me capture them in a more realistic way.


I should just give up, but I made a goal and I am going to persevere!



This is number seven.  Well, I think  I am finally making a little progress.

One day a flock of 20 robins spent the day in the yard.  I grabbed my acrylics (I have never painted with acrylics before, I just recently purchased a beginners set with a 40% off coupon) and tried to capture them fluttering around in the snow.  I have spring fever so I painted the background green.



Not great, but I can see I am making a little progress painting birds.
                         When my husband came home I showed him this painting and he said,
"I can tell exactly what that is............. it's a SPARROW!"

"GOOD GRIEF!"

Well, back to the drawing board
I will need another 20, or 50, or 100 drawings to get it right.

If at first you don't succeed,
try, try, again, and again, and again..................


and again.
I will keep trying.






No comments:

Post a Comment