Cricket Song Farm

Cricket Song Farm

Monday, November 12, 2012

SQUASH PIE/PUMPKIN PIE

 
 
 
Been makin pies.
pumpkin pie
squash pie
apple pie
It's the pie makin time of year. 
 
 
Here is my all time favorite recipe for squash or pumpkin pie
 
 
First make 2 pie crusts using LARD
yes, lard
I have had enough close calls in my life to realize how short is it
so 
use LARD
I don't have a recipe for the crust
just get a bunch of flour
add some salt
stir
add LARD
crumble it into the flour with your hands
I was taught how to make pie crust by my neighbor
HE always said add enough lard to form small peas
add cold water to make a stiff dough
(I'm sure there is a good recipe out there for pie crust)
 
o.k.
now for the pie
cut up your pumpkin or squash into large pieces
place on a baking sheet
or just on the baking rack
 
 
bake 350 degrees til soft
 
 
don't throw away the seeds
 
 
put them aside to make roasted pumpkin seeds
 
 
(Don't wash the seeds, just spread out on a large baking sheet and cook in a low 250 degree oven until seeds are dry.  Stir often.)
Note:  don't use squash seeds to roast, they do not work as well
and aren't very tasty
 
 
scoop flesh into a bowl, mash or puree
I like to freeze 4 cups in a bag so I can just grab a bag pre-measured for pies
drain off liquid after thawing
 
YUMMY PUMPKIN PIE
 
makes 2  pies
 
4 cups pumpkin or squash pulp (I especially like Banana Squash)
6 eggs
 1 cup sugar
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 to 1 tsp. each cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger
1/2 tsp. cloves
Bake 10 mins at 450 degrees
turn oven to 350
and bake until a knife inserted comes out clean
about 35-45 mins
 
This is almost like a thick custard or pudding. 
Absolutely delicious!
 
Top with REAL CREAM of course.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment