Cricket Song Farm

Cricket Song Farm

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

I'll have 2

Years ago, long, long, before St. George decided to do a Farmer's Market our farm hauled produce down to a little Farmer's Market nestled among the beautiful art galleries in Kayenta.  As the corn season approached and we took down dozens of ears of corn to be sold, I was surprised by my first customer of the day's purchase.  "I'll take 2," she said.  I began to bag up the corn and after putting about half a dozen ears of corn in a sack, she hesitantly said, "I only want 2 ears."  Well, this ole farm gal was quite a taken back. "You only want 2 ears?", I thought to myself.  Not 2 dozen?  How can you only eat 2 ears of corn in the following week before I will be back again with another load? Grinning sheepishly, I unloaded her bag and handed over the 2 ears of corn.  She was not the only one who just wanted 2 ears that day. I  had to laugh and think to myself,  "Well, I'll take 2 ears also,......
 2 for breakfast, 2 for lunch, and 2 for supper!" 
I love CORN, how about you?

Sometimes, not often, we can get a good crop of  early corn at the farm.
If we plant the first of June, the spring frosts end around the 25th of June.
 A frost can knock the corn down, but it will recover and begin growing again.
  If it freezes ( July 4th, which it usually does, and again in mid August)
 the stalks at least make good fodder for the animals. 

 I try every year, but usually to no avail so......
Most of the time I just buy my corn from my uncle!
Winter squash is always under planted amongst the corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment