Cricket Song Farm

Cricket Song Farm

Monday, August 25, 2014

Homemade CARROT CAKE




Have you ever made a cake from scratch?  It tastes delicious, much better than the cake mixes purchased in the store and really doesn't take much more time to make.  We always made cakes from scratch when I was growing up, in fact, I did not know that there was even such a thing as "cake mixes" in a box.

True Story.........  When I was in college, I was asked to coordinate several girls in my church ward to make cakes for a big dinner we were having, and I was asked to get them the supplies to do so.  I hesitantly commented that it would be rather difficult for me to measure out all the ingredients, (flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, etc.) bag them up individually and get them delivered to the girls.  The committee just looked at me funny and said, " just go buy some cake mixes".  "You can buy a cake mix?" I replied.  They had to inform this ole country hick that you could actually go to the grocery store, purchase a cake mix in a box, and that all you had to do was add eggs, water and a little oil to the mix and bake it.  "WOW, are you serious?"  I was truly amazed by the concept.  Well, I went off to the store and purchased 7 or 8 boxes of cake mixes ( I discovered they even came in different kinds and flavors) and delivered them to the girls.  At the dinner I tried a piece of that cake made from a mix out of the box and let me tell you,  I think the box it came in probably had more flavor!

I always look forward to the middle of the summer when the carrots are big enough to grate for a cake.  Here is my recipes for the best carrot cake you'll ever taste!

FarmHer Jill's Famous Carrot Cake


1/2 c. vegetable oil
 3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 16 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. chopped walnuts 
4 c. grated carrots, just picked from the garden
3 c. flour
1 c. raisins
1 c. coconut




cream together eggs, oil and sugar



add drained pineapple, salt, soda, cinnamon and vanilla
mix and add
flour and carrots


fold in nuts, raisins, and coconut


pour into a greased 9x13 pan
bake 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes
do not over-bake!
when a knife inserted comes out clean the cake is done.


LET CAKE COOL COMPLETELY 
before frosting


FROSTING RECIPE


1 8 oz. pkg. of cream cheese
1/2 square of butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla
 powdered sugar

In mixer, mix together butter and cream cheese, slowly add powdered sugar to desired consistency.  Frost cake adding coconut and chopped walnuts over top if desired.
These also make yummy cupcakes!



No comments:

Post a Comment