Cricket Song Farm

Cricket Song Farm

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Wrinkles don't lie

O.K. I will be the first to admit it.  I am over the hill, I hit "mid-life" years ago, but in my mind and heart I am still 36.  An age when I felt great, had long, thick, natural curly hair, could shear sheep with out them getting the upper hand, could rope a steer, break in a new horse, milk morning and night, and  have time to be a full time mom of 5 children, help them with their homework, grow 5 acres of organic vegetables for several Farmer's Markets and CSA, have a home cooked meal on the table every night, run a chain saw and swing a heavy splitting mall to cut and stack the wood for the winter, and............on and on..................Shoot, I can still do all of the above, however it does take me a little longer, my bad knees slow me down just a bit..... my thin, scraggy hair won't stay out of my eyes making it difficult to shear sheep (I think it is a good excuse).  My hands have given out after 30 years of hand milking  5- 10 does daily, (think maybe I will have to get milk from a big brown eyed doe in somebody else's yard ).  The other day I was out swinging the heavy splitting mall and swung something out of place that shouldn't be (those pick-up beds full of cut and split wood for sale are beginning to look more appealing).  As far as roping a steer, I'm sure I still could...... if it would stand still long enough.  I cook, but eating after 5:00 p.m. gives me indigestion so supper usually is eaten at lunch time.  As far as 5 acres of garden........well, I still try but it usually turns out to be a game of hide and seek, trying to find the vegetables among the weeds that have gotten ahead of me.  Yes, when I look in the mirror I see the wrinkles. Years and years of working in the sun has taken it's toll.  I see the laugh lines etched in the corners of my mouth.  Life on my little farm has dished out plenty to laugh about.  The squint lines around my eyes from full, bright, sun-shinny, wonderful days on the farm and in the gardens are etched deep in my skin.  Yes, I have wrinkles and I am dang proud of them.  I have worked hard and........... I HAVE EARNED THEM!   I love my wrinkles and wrinkles don't lie, but they look a bit odd on a 36 year old.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Jill! Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog. I'm happy you found me by accident! And I would definitely take you up on the offer of fresh vegetables. :) You have lots of great information here. I'll be reading! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete