Cricket Song Farm

Cricket Song Farm

Friday, June 8, 2012

Radish Report/ CSA Delivery

1 potato
2 potato
3 potato
      4
FarmHer  Jill's a plantin' taters
and A LOT more.



Busy week.  Got the squash patch tilled-------almost  ----well half at least.  Planted a large variety of both winter and summer squash.  Hopefully in the next two days the gardens will be in.  Why plant so late you ask?  Well this picture should explain.  This is what happened when I turned on the water this morning.  June 8th.   




                             And some hoses were frozen so hard I couldn't get any water through them


Should be only one more week of these hard killing frosts --- no more frost pictures I promise-- and then just light ones after that till the end of the month.  Why don't I move somewhere warm to garden?   Believe me, I have often asked myself that question.  I guess I am just a glutton for punishment, but most of all I think I enjoy the challenge of getting the harvest in and the reward of hard work and  the effort it takes makes it worth it.  Besides I can grow the best potatoes, warm days  --cold nights-- and the greens produce all summer long.


CSA DELIVERY   June 9th

Tomatoes
beans
carrots
onions
elephant garlic
chard
broccoli leaf
celery
cherries
apricots
herb salt
chives
baby greens--maybe--
Anasazi  bean soup mix-recipe below

I have 5 regular season (june 16 thru sept 29) CSA shares still available.  Information  at my booth  (Cricket Song Farm) in the North East corner of the square at the St. George Farmers Market.



Anasazi Bean Soup
-------------------------

Rince beans in cold water.  In a crock pot add 1 quart of water to the beans.  If desired place a couple of ham hocks in with the beans.   Cook on low for 10 to 12 hours.  Watch and add more water if necessary.   Remove meat from hocks and take the bones out of the soup.  To thicken, mix 2-3 tbs. corn starch with 1/4 cup water and add to beans.  Add seasoning packet.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Serve with crusty bread.

2 comments:

  1. love your art & garden news blog...from Anita Carter Helton...you posted on my son's blog...regarding the CRAFT BARN in Lund...Do you come there for the 24th of July Rodeo and Celebration...I go there to celebrate & visit & so does my son & family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anita, are you related to the Carters in town? We lived right next to Phil and LuDean in the old 2 story house to the North. Great people in that little town and the 24th of July was a BLAST. After moving from the area we went back for a couple of holidays until we sold our house. I really enjoyed the few years we lived there. My husband and I are headed over this next week, but not for the 24th.

      Delete