Cricket Song Farm

Cricket Song Farm

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Tomato Harvest


It's a busy time of year.  Bringing in the harvest before the frost.  This year I planted all my tomatoes in Roosevelt.  My growing season at the farm in Beryl is just not long enough to get  tomatoes to ripen, (I have to plant them in the green house to get a crop) and with an extra 2-3 months growing season here in Roosevelt I have split my crops between the two places.  Cold crops in Beryl and tender/warm crops in Roosevelt.  However next year, I will plant all my early, prolific, summer squash in Beryl.  The squash bugs here in Roosevelt destroyed my whole crop!  I have never had squash bugs in Beryl, I think I just live so far out in the middle of nowhere they have never been able to find me!



Pulled out the tomato plants by the roots and hung them in the wood shed.

3 or 4 plants are gathered together and hung in a bundle from the rafters of the wood shed

This will protect them from frost and allows the tomatoes to continue ripening on the vines.
Check daily they seem to ripen faster this way. 
I harvested boxes and boxes of green tomatoes off the vines left in the gardens and will be making

Pickled Dill Tomatoes
and Green Tomato Jam
the next few days.

What is your favorite way to use green tomatoes?




No comments:

Post a Comment