Cricket Song Farm

Cricket Song Farm

Monday, June 17, 2013

Radish Report

     


I should have been a weatherman.  I can smell frost in the air even if it is 2 o'clock in the afternoon and it's 70 degrees outside.  I knew frost was coming last night.  Had I gotten in too big of a hurry and planted my tender plants, cukes, beans, squash etc. too soon?  The beans and squash have just set on the second true leaves and are a couple of inches above the ground.  I plant the squash deep in the hollow of the row to help protect it.  The beans are intensely planted in wide rows and are more susceptible to frost. The cukes are just barley breaking ground so they should be fine.  As I walk the gardens this morning the beans leaves are covered with a thin layer of ice, but the stems are not frozen.  They should be o.k. I hope.  The hoses are frozen, but I can't start water until until it warms up anyway.  Today I will be planting the fall crops, turnips, parsnips, more beets, kale, found another bag of potato seed so I will plant a few more potatoes.  The small greenhouse has lost it's plastic covering so I will plant it with more greens and cover the arches with shade cloth.  It's Monday, a new week, my agenda is full of projects for the boys and I to accomplish, life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment