Cricket Song Farm

Cricket Song Farm

Friday, June 7, 2013

PLANTING SEEDS





Every year we save our seeds to plant for the next season's crops.

  The miracle of planting a tiny seed

and harvesting

 a beautiful red beet,

 or a vibrant multi-colored squash

takes my breath away. 




CHARD




ATOMIC RED CARROT




ARUGULA










LETTUCE


The gardens are in.  This past week has been crunch time.  I have about a 3 day window to get all the tender vegetables planted.  I need to wait until the soil warms up enough, but on the other hand, I can't get in to big of a hurry because I still have 2 weeks of frost.
Next week I will be starting seeds in the greenhouse for my fall harvest of Cole crops 
and planting the fall root crops out in the field.


As I plant I can taste the sweet carrot and the earthy essence of the golden beets.
I can smell the slight waif of pumpkin pie on the breeze.
I remind myself not to get to anxious for the harvest and enjoy the growing journey. 
 Each new day brings new growth and the beauty slowly unfolds before my eyes.
I sit in my old wooden swing under the tree and watch the garden grow.
Yes, there is a mighty, mighty miracle in those tiny, tiny seeds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment