Cricket Song Farm

Cricket Song Farm

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

JILLY, where have you BEAN?

Awe-shucks, I was afraid you were going to ask.  I haven't posted much lately because...... Well as you know by now I spell out the words that I don't like to say out loud so .......I have been......
 
 
M-O-V-I-N-G
 
Not just once, but TWICE!
 
The people renting the mobile home left in the middle of August, and my sister and her adorable family (who live in MN) were here in the valley visiting family.  I happened to mention that the people were moving from the mobile home at the farm and knowing they wanted to come back this way, I said I would be willing to rent it to them.  They mulled it over for a day and decided that yes they would move in.  Then I mulled it over for a day and decided to let them rent the Little Red House instead.  You see I am needing to rent it eventually and I would rather have my sis and her cute bunch of kids (6), and her kind husband than anyone else in my Little Red House so........the middle of August I moved out  of the Little Red House moving everything (15 years of accumulation) into the mobile home...... and then I will be moving out of the mobile home in a few days for new renters.  I live out in the middle of nowhere, so to have a yard sale is not an option (we usually sell almost everything we have before moving).   So,  I have been packing and hauling boxes filled with stuff (junk)
 for the past few weeks.
As I load yet another load of belongings in the small 8 foot trailer to drag 50 miles to a storage unit, I am reminded of THOREAU'S writings about our worldly possessions. 
 
"What man but a philosopher would not be ashamed to see his furniture packed in a cart and going up county exposed to the light of heaven and the eyes of men, a beggarly account of empty boxes!  I could never tell from inspecting such a load whether it belonged to a so-called rich man or a poor one; the owner always seemed poverty-stricken.  Indeed, the more you have of such things the poorer you are.  Each load looks as if it contained the contents of a dozen shanties; and if one shanty is poor, this is a dozen times as poor.  Pray for what do we move ever but to get rid of our furniture, our exuviae; at last to go from this world to another newly furnished............"
 
and he goes on to say
 
"When I have met (a man) tottering under a bundle which contained his all-- looking like an enormous wen which had grown out of the nape of his neck-- I have pitied him, not because that was his all, but because he had all THAT to carry."
 
Henry David Thoreau
from his book, WALDEN
 
 
I AGREE!
Poor, poor, pitiful me.
I have way to much stuff
it makes moving really ruff.
I should just pile it high
strike a match
 and watch the flames reach the sky.
 
But no,
we hang onto our things
thinking they will fulfill our dreams
we drag them here
we drag them there.
Only to be burdened down
with possessions that own us
as we move from town to town.
 
 
Maybe we should re-evaluate our needs
and only carry upon our backs
a hoe, a shovel and a packet of seeds.
A smile on our face,
 and a pocket full of integrity.
Showing kindness to all we meet
as we move from place to place. 
With nothing but our treasures
stashed within our heart and mind
moving wouldn't be so bad
I'm sure we'd surely find.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
\

No comments:

Post a Comment