Cricket Song Farm

Cricket Song Farm

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Drying SAGE




































Harvested sage today.  I usually harvest twice during the growing season.  The first harvest is in the spring just before the flowers bloom and then again after the summer growth in the fall.  Harvest in the morning after the dew has dried and before the sun brings out the volatile oils.  Rinse well, shake off additional moisture and dry thoroughly  in a dish towel.


Place sturdy rubber bands (instead of sting or twine) around the stems.   As the sage dries the bands will tighten around the stems, preventing them from falling out of the bundle.

hang bundles up to dry in a warm place 
you can also cover with a paper bag to prevent dust from the air getting onto the leaves
I like to hang a bundle right by my stove so I can add it easily while I am cooking

after sage leaves have dried, store whole leaves
(they last longer if you do not crumble them)
in a container that is dark and air tight 
I will store the dried sage in plastic bags in one of my copper containers 

Try using fresh sage in bread, cornbread, and biscuits
(look for recipes using sage in the recipe section of my blog)


No comments:

Post a Comment