Cricket Song Farm

Cricket Song Farm

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS





































Remove the seeds from the pumpkin
DO NOT WASH
(I leave the pumpkin flesh on the seeds I like the flavor)
add salt or seasoning of choice
stir to coat evenly
place on a baking sheet and cook 
200 degrees until dry
(about 2 hours or so)
stir often

There are many recipes out there that say to cook at 350 degrees
DON'T DO IT THEY BURN TO EASILY


These seeds are a fall harvest ritual around our house. 
 We snack on them all winter long.  They are full of fiber.
I usually just flavor with salt and bake
however this year I wanted to try something sweet




after roasting for 45 mins. by the above method,
 I put the warm seeds into a bowl
and stirred in some brown sugar and agave nectar
coated the seeds well and put back on the baking sheet and into the oven
this is very sticky
stir it often
I baked another hour and let set until cool
the coating hardens as it cools
then I simply broke apart the seeds
YUMMM,  DELICIOUS
hopped in my old truck and drove back to the pumpkin patch for more pumpkins!

I have also roasted other winter squash seed,
 but I prefer the seeds from pumpkins

I am going to experiment with other flavors

Here is what I'm thinking about.....
Wash seeds. 
 Dry. 
 Pour 2 tbs. melted butter,
1/2 to 1 tb. of spice (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg etc.)
and 1/8 to 1/4 cup of sugar
stir until seeds are well coated 
bake in a low, 200 degree oven until dry

pumpkins grown by my neighbor's kids

isn't this beautiful,
 pumpkin poetry






cut pumpkin into large sections and bake until soft
when cool put in freezer bags
I put in 2 cups
 (the amount I use for a pie)
I place a pie plate full of water underneath to steam the pumpkins
this keeps the inside edges from getting to dry
scoop out all the flesh and freeze.


No comments:

Post a Comment